Thursday, June 10, 2010

Home Stretch...

So, a few weeks ago, for class, we were asked to write a final entry. It was called "A Journal Assignment for the Home Stretch." I figured I should probably put it in my blog.

Looking Back

I feel like I should have more reflection than I did. I could work on that in the next few weeks making it better. Reflection has been something hard for me to actually write about. I don't know exactly what to say about it. I'll write an entire post about it I guess.

I should have spaced out my project more. I spent so much time at Kim's earlier in the season, I was there for 3 hours a day 4 or 5 days per week every week. I wish that I could have kept that going, though I guess it would have been kind of difficult to have kept that up through recital time and senior week, etc.

I definitely should have planned out my time better. I had some major issues with time management. I know that's a big problem with kids in the WISE program, and it was one for me as well. However, I am giong to have a really tough time in college if I don't plan out what I am going to do better. At the beginning of the project, 16 weeks seemed like forever, so I figured I would be just fine. But as I went through, the time seemed to get shorter and shorter.

I am proud of all that I have learned. I did a lot of research about different issues related to sports. I also learned how to tape an ankle and tape shins. So, that gives me a little bit of an advantage over some of the kids that I am going to be going to college with.

Research

Research was kind of vague for my project. I knew I wanted to find out some common injuries associated with sports, and I did. So for that part, I think I did the research part of this project. Along with that, I wanted to find out what the specifics of being an Athletic Trainer was, and I did that as well, again fulfilling my research component of the project.

The only issue that I had was getting a variety of sources. There were a ton of websites that I got, and I have two "interviews". They weren't really interviews, they were more like prolonged correspondence, so that counts, I think. But I couldn't really find good periodicals. There wasn't a famous person that I could read about, and there weren't really any articles specifically about Athletic Training that I could read about. So, I don't know about that part.

Hands-On

I know for certain that I fulfilled the hands-on part of the project. For the past few weeks, I've been the main person taping people up. Many of the people who come in need their shins or ankles, and I know how to do that, so it frees Kim up to do the other things that she needed to do. I made the video (which by the way has been watched 25 times) and have had a lot of time to work on this part of the project.

Presentation

I think my project is going to go very well. I'm excited to be able to show what I've learned since I started the project 16 weeks ago. I know I'm going to be taping an ankle, and I'm totally prepared, and I pretty much know what I am going to say, so I'm not really worried at all. I hope that it all goes well, and is a good tribute to what I've done this semester.

No comments: