Thursday, March 11, 2010

ImPACT Testing

I met with Kim again today. Usually I spend about 1.5 hours with her per day, today I spent a good 2.5 hours. Just meeting with Kim this week has fulfilled my 8 hour requirement...that's not taking into account the mentor meeting, the class meeting, the research I've done, the time online writing the blog. If I keep up this pace, I will be in good shape come May or June.

The reason I was with Kim for so long today was because we were doing ImPACT Testing at 5 o'clock. The ImPACT Test measures how your brain works if you don't have a concussion so you have something to compare to in order to see if you do have a concussion. I don't know if I've written about this before, but I think I have. Sorry for the repetition. Anyways, so I was just going to watch to see how the test was done, but Kim suggested that I take it as well. Let me tell you. That thing was a pain in the butt.

The test itself is 6 sections. It all has to do with memorization and things of that ilk. The first thing you do is fill out a section about demographics-who you are, what you weigh, etc. Then you start the actual test. This is the obnoxious part. They flash words up on the screen and you have to memorize them. Then at the end, they will ask you if certain words show up...annoying right? Well, that's just the first section, they then do the same thing with shapes, and the shape is a line that is all squiggly. At the end when they are showing you the shape, they will turn it every which way, and you have to do the exact shape or you are wrong. So, they had 6 of these sections. Then they throw you for a loop. At the very end of the test, when you think you are all done, they ask you to remember the words and shapes from the beginning and be able to identify them again. Ugh. It was so annoying. It took a good 15 to 20 minutes for the test. Something I never want to go through again.

No comments: