Friday, March 12, 2010

IC Training Room

I went over to teh Training Room today. I spoke to Chris Hummel. By an extreme amount of good luck, he happens to be the Athletic Trainer for the Ithaca College Gymnastics team. Good luck, right? I told you. So, I asked him questions about what the common injuries were in gymnastics and he gave me a list of five. They are:
  • Tibia Stress Fractures
  • Ankle Sprains
  • Stress Fractures in the Lumbar Spine (Spondylysis, commonly called "Spondy")
  • ACL injuries
  • Concussions
I then asked him what some of the common prevention methods that he uses are. He said:
  • Educating the athletes on the possible injuries and informing them of issues with them, etc.
  • Having them come in as soon as possible, if they have any early signs, meet with an Athletic Trainer
  • Talking with an Athletic Trainer about the history of their injuries
  • Strengthening as far as ankle injuries go
  • Mechanics of jumping and landing with an ACL injury
I asked him when I could go and learn some basic taping techniques. They are open 9-12 Monday through Friday and between 2:30 and 8 pm. He said those were the best times. In the morning they are the least busy and in the afternon, they are the busiest. He also sent me to an online reference that I can use. I can use the Journal of Athletic Training. It is an online magazine that I can use. The volume that he sent me to has statistics about a lot of college sports and the injuries that they involve. I'll blog about this later when I read up on it.

That's it for now...

1 comment:

Armin Heurich said...

Great to see all of your posts, Taylor! You're really on top of things, and you should feel good.